MEMBER LOGIN
  Forgot Password?

History

Palos Verdes Golf Club opened on November 15, 1924. The golf course was designed and built by the team of William P. “Billy” Bell and George C. Thomas. It is a classic example of courses built during the era that has become known as the “Golden Age of Golf Course Architecture”. Other examples of their work in Southern Calif. include, the North Course at Los Angeles CC, Riviera CC, Bel Air CC, as well as the Ojai Valley Inn Golf Course.

The course is located in the middle of an 800-acre parkland preserve overlooking Santa Monica Bay with ocean views visible from several holes. It underwent a complete renovation in 2013 to restore it to its original design under the supervision of golf course Architect Todd Eckenrode of Origins Golf Design. All bunkers were re-built, three greens were re-built while adding chipping areas around all greens, three new fairway bunkers, new back tees were added to holes where appropriate, and several trees were removed to restore ocean views that had been lost over the years.

While not long in length by modern standards at 6219 yards par 71 (6490 from the black tees), four sets of tees provide a challenge for all level of golfers. The combination of barrancas, creeks, and 74 bunkers requires strategically placed tee shots and accurate approach shots to small well-manicured greens. The front nine is one of the few courses with what is called a “perfect nine” in that there are no two consecutive holes with the same par.

The Mediterranean style clubhouse, with unsurpassed views, underwent an $11,000,000 renovation in 2007 restoring it to its 1924 design with an understated yet elegantly appointed early California interior. It has become the favorite social gathering place for the entire Palos Verdes peninsula.

While the golf course has long been referred to as “a hidden gem”, the new clubhouse, designated a Historical Building by the Palos Verdes Historical Society, has now earned the same distinction.